This is a collaborative post that may contain affiliate links.
Are you thinking about booking a cycling holiday for 2018? A lot of people will be looking for vacations over the next few months, especially as there are bound to be some great bargains after Christmas. Nonetheless, before you book your first biking trip, read on to discover some top tips.
1. What to take with you – You need to make sure you have all of the essential items to take with you. This includes the following: a camera to capture the memories, sunscreen and sunglasses, a good drinking bottle, a small backpack, worn-in trainers, gloves, extra layers, breathable tops, a padded seat cover, and cycling shorts. It is important to make sure you have worn in your trainers so that you don’t experience the discomfort and blisters that often comes with brand new shoes. If your cycling includes a more mountainous terrain, make sure you have the right outdoor gear (especially if there’s a chance you’ll end up doing a little hiking!).
2. Safety – Safety should always be your number one priority! You can sign up for next generation bike lighting. This is especially important if you are planning on going on evening adventures.
3. Preparing before you leave – Before you embark on your healthy vacation, it is important to get prepared. You will need to exercise more regularly to get your fitness levels up. Simply three 30-minute cardio sessions per week will give you the extra bit of strength that is required to keep you going while visiting your new destination. You should also take a look at your nutrition. Healthy food choices are a necessity so that you can feel energised. You should avoid refined-sugary and processed foods, and instead opt for nutritious and balanced meals. By doing this, you will soon notice a spike in your energy levels.
4. Consider other activities – While biking is great fun, don’t overlook the possibility of including other activities into your trip. For example, why not combine your cycling trip with a luxury spa break? This is the perfect way to recharge your batteries after you have had such an active day. This will give your muscles the recovery and relaxation you need so that you can tackle the next day ahead.
5. Choose your holiday with care – There are many different types of cycling holidays you can choose from. From racing and touring to recreational vacations, there is something for everyone. You may even want to consider a triathlon training holiday if you are a keen swimmer and runner as well. Or, what about a mountain biking holiday or a cross-country vacation? This is perfect for those that have a lot of stamina. You will feel a real rush of exhilaration when you freewheel down the sides of the mountains.
From making sure your bike is prepared to preparing your body for your trip, follow the advice that has been mentioned above and you can make sure your first cycling trip goes smoothly. After all, the last thing you want to do is end up in a hospital bed because you haven’t trained properly. That’s no sort of holiday, is it?