6 Roadblocks That Are Keeping You from Reaching Your Goals
Written by Malyka Cardwell
Everyday people set a series of goals to achieve. They can be short term, such as deciding what time you would like to leave work that evening or long term, like what you are going to do with the rest of your life. Goals are easy to set but often harder to attain. Do you find yourself setting goals but never reaching them? If you have answered yes to this question, you are not alone. Here are a few common things that hold people back from reaching goals:
1. Goals that are too broad Specificity is essential when creating goals. Often time people’s goals are so broad that they become unattainable. Get specific and size down the goal. The smaller the goal the easier it may be to achieve it.
2. Time management: If the proper amount of time is not allocated, goals will not be achieved. Actively managing a schedule can be very beneficial, especially when dealing with day to day goals. If you want something, you have to be prepared to dedicate the time it takes to get it.
3. Lack of preparation/knowledge: You must be prepared. Do not try to blindly pursue your goals. Know what you are getting into. Do research. Learn about the journey you have ahead of you, whether it is big or small.
4. Self Doubt: Doubt is a huge contributor in preventing people from prospering. Your chances of failing become higher when the doubt is coming from yourself. If you do not believe you can do it, then you are less likely to try and more likely to fail.
5. Procrastination: Every time you put something off you create more work for yourself. As the work piles up, so does the likelihood of not achieving your goals. When you get the urge to push something to the side, force yourself to tackle it in the present.
6. Freedom: So many of us are unable to do exactly what we want when we want. This is because we rely on public transport and their timetables and stops us from reaching certain places at certain times. Make sure you get your driver’s license to give yourself more freedom. Then, drive safely to avoid immediate threat suspension and other punishments for irresponsible driving.
It is normal to hit some roadblocks on the path to reaching your goals. How you respond to these obstacles, shows how effective you will be in succeeding in whatever you have planned. It is important to figure out what normally knocks you off track so that you can better prepare for it the next time it happens. Perseverance is key. Do not be discouraged.
Malyka Cardwell is a Couple and Family Therapist based in the Philadelphia. Malyka graduated with a BS in Psychology and a minor in English from Old Dominion University. She then went on to study at Thomas Jefferson University’s Couple and Family Therapy program with a specialization in Sex Therapy. To contact her for professional help email her here: MCardwell@PhiladelphiaMFT.com.