Written By Ria Rankine
Health enthusiasts everywhere consider berries to be nature’s candy. That’s a reasonable connection; berries are sweet and tasty, much like candy. But here’s something berries offer that you won’t find in the candy aisle:
– Disease fighting anti-oxidants
– Micronutrients and fiber
– Vitamin C
– Vitamin K (the precious bone building vitamin)
Can your favorite chocolate bar offer you that?
For these reasons listed above, any many more, it’s important to incorporate berries into your diet everyday. You have a wide and vibrantly flavored section to choose from, so have some fun the next time you’re shopping for produce.
Keep in mind that half a cup of berries equates to one serving size. The amount of servings you need each day depends on your calorie requirements. For example, if you consume 2,000 calories a day, eat roughly two cups worth of berries. If you’re like me and you don’t count calories, I recommend eating at least one cup of berries each day.
Coconut Blueberry Smoothie
Smoothies are the best way to incorporate fruits and vegetables into your diet. Even if you have a hectic schedule, there’s no excuse not to eat well. Smoothies are fast, simple and delicious if you incorporate the right ingredients. I prefer mine in the morning to kickstart a day of healthy choices, but this blueberry smoothie is sweet enough to enjoy as a dessert, and post workout snack.
- 1 frozen banana
- 3/4 cup blueberries
- 1/2 cup soymilk
- 1/2 cup coconut fat (from a can)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon sweetener (Stevia, pure maple syrup, agave)
- 1 teaspoon chia or flax seeds (optional)
- Cut your banana in small pieces and freeze the night before.
- Blend all your ingredients, except blueberries, on low speed.
- Gradually incorporate blueberries. Blend for 5 seconds for every incorporation.
- Once all blueberries are added, blend on high for an additional 30 seconds.
- Pour into your favorite glass and enjoy!
Delicious and refreshing! Thanks to the coconut milk, the smoothie has a thick, creamy texture that almost resembles a milkshake-almost. Let’s not forget how filling it is; one glass should keep you fueled until lunchtime.