In partnership with WOW Air. Thoughts and opinions are my own.
I’ve spent a lot of time flying WOW Air lately, so I’ve gotten pretty adept at passing the time in ways that don’t involve the Internet. WOW Air has fabulous service and super affordable prices, which makes forgoing WiFi worth it in my book. (Seriously, when you can fly to Brussels for $99, who needs WiFi?!) I’m as guilty as anyone in my addiction to my smartphone but just think way back to the days of no WiFi. What did you do then? Whether you’re traveling alone or looking to entertain kids on a long flight, here are 7 things to do on a plane without WiFi.
1. Read or listen to a book. My list of books to read is ever-growing because it’s a luxury I just can’t afford these days. I’m insanely over-committed and busy, and I’m sure it’s the same for you. Before your flight, buy, borrow, or download e-books, or audiobooks (you should try Audible) so you can finally catch up. You have my permission!
2. Rent an iPad on board WOW Air. Guests flying on WOW Air’s North American routes have the option to rent iPads full of entertainment during the flight. There are universal power outlets on board the A321 and A330 aircraft, so you can also easily charge your own devices while in the air.
3. Listen to hours of music using Spotify Premium. If you create and download your playlists before you board, you’ll have unlimited music at your fingertips without the need for WiFi.
4. Watch Netflix. Using the Netflix app, you can download shows to your mobile device and binge-watch your favorite shows or finally watch that movie everyone’s been telling you about.
5. Work. You might think you need to access your email, but really, that’s just an excuse. You can save any information you need before you hop on the plane. Often the Internet distracts me while I’m working, so if you’re like me, open up a Word document (or whatever program you use) and get some work done so you’ll have less on your plate when you land.
6. Enjoy doing nothing for a few hours. How often do you have that option? Whether you want to flip through a magazine, write an old-fashioned letter to someone you ought to catch up with (or even better, send postcards from your trip), or write in your journal, now’s the time to do it. You literally have nothing better to do! On my flight from NYC to Iceland to Copenhagen with WOW Air, I decided to do nothing when I couldn’t sleep on the flight. 15 minutes into my doing nothing, I looked at the window and couldn’t believe what I saw- it was the Northern Lights! I’d been wanting to see the Northern Lights since I was a little girl, but never expected to be able to actually see them in mid-air. I was able to watch them for a solid 45 minutes and it was hands down one of the most amazing things I’ve experienced so far!
7. Catch up on much-needed sleep. Some people need sound machines to sleep. Others zonk right out with subtle rocking motion of any transportation vehicle. If you’re one of these people, catching a few z’s won’t be difficult. If you have a hard time sleeping on planes, bring a neck pillow, don a sleep mask, pop in your earbuds and relax. Put on a meditation soundtrack and you might just be snoring a few minutes later!
This may contain affiliate links. Thanks for continued support of the brands that keep TheUrbanRealist running!