If there’s one thing that has become ever popular in recent years, it’s online and telephone dating. Chatlines and chat rooms, Tinder and apps dedicated for “random hookups” are bursting onto the scene over finding love. It’s all out there in the digital world right now and we just lap it up, don’t we?
There are those among us who love the traditional way to meet people, but given that much of our lives are online now, we no longer randomly meet people in clubs or when out and about. We rarely find love in the workplace or in the gym. Instead, we rely on our phones and sites like freechatlines.com to find the person for us. There is a lot of fun to be had online and on chat lines – we’re not going to lie to you! You may not even be looking for love, just some companionship, and you could end up with your soulmate – who knows! The most important thing about dating digitally is to be safe, and while the rate of crime in online dating isn’t massive, it’s big enough to to worry about it.
Image source: Pexels
The very basic safety tips can ensure that you date for fun, with people looking for the same thing that you are. No one wants to end up on the news, so let’s take a look at some safety tips to make your love life a calm and happy one!
- If you meet someone online or over the phone, don’t head to their house for a first date. You’ve seen the horror movies and screamed when they walk into the creepy house, yes? Well, don’t walk into the creepy house! People can be whoever they want to be online, and you could be talking to someone who has several personalities. Meeting in a public place is important!
- Let a friend or family member know where you’re going and who you will be with – well, who they say they are, anyway. You need to let someone know when you head on a date so that if they don’t hear from you, they know to raise the alarm. It’s a defeatist attitude to love, we know, but it’s better than being attacked and no one knowing!
- Be honest in your profile about yourself. We already mentioned that people can be whoever they want to be, and it would devastate you to know that someone wasn’t honest. So, don’t be that someone. Use unfiltered pictures and pure honesty in your profile and you will find others who are interested in you.
- Okay, so we’re not slut shaming here, but there’s no need to go for that first-date hookup. Why? Well, you don’t know the person very well and it involves being in their home or yours – or even a hotel. You don’t know the person and it could lead to dangerous situations that could really put you in a position you don’t want to be in.
- Have a backup plan. You will know quickly if this person is legitimate, and if they are not, talk to the barman or waitress on the sly in the venue you chose. They can discreetly call you a cab and get you out of there safely.
Stay safe, date safe, be safe!