Let’s take a minute to discuss the podcast. The lesser consumed media form gets a bit of a bad rep, but it’s no longer reserved for the super hip or the the overly pretentious. It can be taxing, sifting through the ether of fuzzy dorm room productions and obscurely titled niche podcasts.
But no worries, we’ve done the hard work for you and found some of the most hilarious and entertaining podcasts that anyone can enjoy, no trendy wayfarers required. Check 5 of our favorites below!
1. Nerdist Podcast– Nerdist trifecta Chris Hardwick, Jonah Ray, and Matt Mira get together for casual chit chat conversations with everyone from stand-up comedian Jim Gaffigan to WWE wrestler Chris Jericho. Hilarity ensues, naturally.
2. Competitive Erotic Fan Fiction– The straightforward title pretty much sums it up. Hosted by Bryan Cook, comedians compete in writing and reading original works of erotic fan fiction based on audience suggestions delivered on the spot.
3. How Did This Get Made– Comedians Paul Scheer, Jason Mantzoukas, and June Diane Raphael get together with famous friends to review movies “so bad, it’s amazing.” Together, they ponder the titular question “How did this get made?”
4. Throwing Shade– Hosts Erin Gibson and Bryan Safi rant and reflect on trending cultural and political topics like bro cuddling and Korean plastic surgery from a gay and feminist perspective. The fact that Gibson and Safi make for some delightful banter doesn’t hurt too.
5. The JV Club– While adolescence may be an era remembered fondly by middle school bullies and junior jocks, for most of us it was an age best punctuated by awkward dances, low rise jeans, and the dark days of bumper-stickered MySpace profiles (remember those?). Host Janet Varney and guests are kind enough revisit these cringe-inducing times for the rest of us, and the result couldn’t be more entertaining.